Rashomon : My take on it


 Rashomon : By Akira Kurosawa


The film Rashomon by Akira Kurosawa tells the story of a murder from the perspectives of various individuals including the one who was murdered. And the various stories narrated in the courthouse were nothing but half of what was true. The rest part of the stories were a manipulation of the real occurences. 

What I learnt from it and how I relate it with my past and my present?

No matter what, no one is completely honest, not to others and neither to their own selves. The woodcutter who claimed that the stories narrated by all the others were lies, himself admitted to lying in the court to avoid getting involved as he had witnessed the murder and probably had stolen a valuable knife from the scene of crime. 

I can relate to it as I myself at various points in my life have lied or manipulated the truth in order to avoid getting in trouble but at the same time I have claimed that the others were lying. 

For instance when I used to be in school some 10 or 12 years back, I would watch TV instead of studying while my parents were away and would lie to them about having completed my work and watching the TV after that, however, when my little brother used to do the same, I would tell my parents that he hadn't been studying. 

Even now, I might at times lie about why I wasn't picking up someone's call or why I didn't get back to them.

Though, I try to lie as little as possible and avoid lying as much as I can but I haven't been able to remain completely honest with others. Also, I have lied to myself, making myself believe that what I did wasn't wrong and didn't matter much but what isn't much of a big deal to me could be to someone if they found out the truth. And no matter how big or small, a lie is never the right way to go about anything. Despit knowing this, I can't help myself, I still do have a tendency to lie in situations that can be avoided from getting complicated by a lie.

-Shikha Singh



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 14

Day 11